Welcome!

Welcome to Caspar's LA Blog! :D With this blog I'll add certain things related to LA, and will update it often. (Y) XD

Monday, January 24, 2011

Why Chinese Mothers are Superior

Firstly, I think the author is wrong to say that Chinese mothers are more strict than Western mothers. It might be more significant in Chinese culture, but there are also strict Western parents. And being strict does not always help the child, because it might be a fact that the child is unable to complete the task and not because of his/her self-esteem or confidence whatsoever. If the parent continues to drill the child but he's still unable to complete the task, then I think forcing the child to do things will be futile and will have a negative effect and forcing them will cause them emotional stress as well.
Secondly, not only strict parents will produce 'math genius' and 'music prodigies'. Let's take the American President for example. I do not believe his childhood was as 'strict' as those of the Chinese children. The truth is that his parents divorced when he was still quite young. His father died early in a car accident, and imagine the emotional impact on him. His achievement today is very commendable, being the first black president.
What I believe about parenting is that parents have to motivate the child and work their way towards academic success and the child's interest, rather than forcing them to do this and do that (e.g. Playing musical instruments). From young, even before the child had quite a mental ability to make decisions, parents should expose them to various things, like music and sports. Parents could either get them to learn music, and, or, pursue their interests from young. When I was young my parents saw that I enjoyed swimming and they pursued my interest by training me.
My parents are not like the author. They believe in motivation and not forcing me to do things. This has worked quite well for me and I also believe this is the right way.

No comments:

Post a Comment